In this article we will go over 15 of the best sd card for sony a7iii. From UHS-I to UHS-II cards. Both for slot 1 and 2.
Feel free to use the table of contents to navigate through this page. Before we cover the best sd card for sony a7iii. Here is some background on the Sony A7III.
The Sony a7 III is a supremely capable full frame camera, considering its billing as a ‘basic model. Although it doesn’t have the most megapixels or shoot the quickest bursts, it makes it a simple recommendation for all kinds of photographers and all kinds of photography with its well-judged combination of resolution, speed, features and price point.
- 24MP BSI CMOS full frame sensor
- 93% autofocus (over 425 on phase-detection; contrast-detection system has 693 points)
- Full-width 6K video sampled at 4K (cropped-in 5K for 30p)
- In-body image stabilization
- 10 fps continuous shooting
- OLED viewfinder with a 2.36M-dot display, 0.78x magnification
- AF joystick
- Takes a large, high-capacity battery (CIPA-rated to 710 shots).
- Dual SD memory card slots
- USB 3.1 Type C
The Sony a7 III has been improved in almost every way compared to its predecessor; the a7III looks to be a step above in many ways as compared to other similarly priced full-frame options. The a7III gets an awful lot of things just right for generalist photographers, wedding and event shooters, and even sports specialists. There are, however, several issues that remain with this new iteration, as there were previous Sony mirrorless full-frame cameras.
However, In this article we will be going over the best sd card for sony a7iii.
We will cover both UHS-II and UHS-I Memory cards for the sony a7iii.
10 Best UHS-II Memory Cards For Sony a7iii
UHS-II cards are quite a bit faster than UHS-I cards, UHS-II cards are not only substantially faster but have a much more reliable sustained transfer rate with a decent quality UHS-II card reader.
We average 245 MB/s transfer rate, for photos, with our current setup, with our 280 MB/s rated SanDisk Extreme Pro cards.
That takes down to just over 2 minutes of our 32 GB move. For all our cards, the end-of-day dump now just takes 15 minutes and we can get back home sooner.
With that being said, here are 10 of the best memory card for sony a7iii (UHS-II Cards)
1. Sony SF-G UHS-II
The Sony SF-G UHS-II High-speed memory cards are designed to be perfectly compatible with powerful imaging systems used by experienced and serious photographers.
The Sony SF-G UHS-II is one of the best sd card for sony a7iii.
With a 300MB/s transfer speed, the UHS-II streamlines data workflow activities. Ability to transfer: 50 files (1.16GB) in 5.1 seconds. Enjoy added security and never worry about losing details. Use the MRW-S1 reader writer to switch high res images and 4K video easily.
Move speed of up to 300MB/s; write speed of up to 299 MB/s. The speed of the transfer varies and depends on the host computer. Your compatible computer must support UHS-II in order to effectively exploit the high speed capabilities of the product.
- Up to 300MB/s read speed and 299MB/s write speed are possible in UHS-II devices.
- 32GB, 64GB, 128GB Capacity models for storing all your images and videos
- Can be used with digital cameras and other devices utilizing SD Memory cards
- Fast writing minimizes lag time when taking photos and videos, and burst mode shooting.
- Especially good for 4K movie recording and continuous shooting
- Speed: UHS-II, Class 10, U3
- Also usable in UHS-I cameras, with up to 95MB/s read and 90MB/s write speed
- The Downloadable File Rescue software can restore damaged or deleted photos and videos.
- High speed SD UHS-II memory cards are waterproof and work properly in a temperature range.
2. Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II
Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II The world’s strongest and fastest SD card, UHS-II SD memory cards are 18 times stronger than regular ultra-rugged SD cards. Bend-proof, up to 5 metres drop-proof, water-proof and dust-proof. Supports V90 Video Speed Class High-Speed Shooting & 4k Video. Sony’s SD Check Utility scans your memory cards periodically and automatically and lets you know before they hit their limits. The Tough Memory Card can withstand the strength of 180 Newtons.
- The tough specs: world’s first one-piece molded construction with high hardness materials, have resulted in the world’s highest bend strength, 18 times higher than the SD card standard.
- Ribless, No Write Protection Switch Design: World’s First Ribless, No Write Protection Switch design
- Hypers transfer rate up to 300MB/s;Excellent for 4K recording and continuous burst mode shooting;Uhs-ii U3 compliant;Operating temperature range -13℉ to +185℉ (Non-condensing)
- Waterproof (IPX8*5): This card is sealed with a monolithic structure, allowing it to be waterproof.
- Backward compatible with UHS-I devices: while highest speed is obtained when using a UHS-II compatible device, (up to 95MB/s transfer and 90MB/s writing speed3)
3. Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II
The Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II memory card, essential for continuous burst shooting, will optimize your camera’s ability for recording and post-production performance. These SDHC and SDXC cards are fitted with up to 300MB/s read/transfer speeds and up to 260MB/s write speeds. Capture 4K and Full HD video with experienced photographers in the UHS Speed Class (U3). Don’t risk missing a crucial moment with a slower, less powerful memory card when the UHS-II compliant SanDisk Extreme Pro provides you with assurance! (1) SanDisk SD Extreme Pro UHS-II Memory Card and (1) All but Stromboli (TM) 3.0 SD/Micro Card Reader are included in the package.
These cards are also one of the best sd card for sony a7iii.
- The bundle includes (1) the SanDisk SD Extreme Pro UHS-II Memory Card and (1) Everything But Stromboli (TM) 3.0 SD/Micro Card Reader.
- For continuous burst shooting on your Sony Alpha 7 IIII / Alpha a7r III / Alpha a9 Mirrorless Camera.
- Read/transfer speeds of 300MB/s and write speeds of 260MB/s.
- UHS speed Class 3 (U3) and video speed Class 30 (V30) for 4K UHD video – professionals who need speed and efficiency in post-production choose these cards.
- Quickly upload or download files, videos, and photos through its 3.0 SD/Micro-card slot!
4. ProGrade Digital SD UHS-II
ProGrade Digital is a young business, but their founders have decades of experience in the industry.
They launched its SDXC UHS-II memory card at the beginning of 2018, with 200 MB/s prominently shown on the label. The quoted read speed is 200 MB/s, while the maximum and minimum write speeds were 80 MB/s and 60 MB/s. The card carries the Video Speed Class 60 (V60) logo, which means that for video recording, it can maintain at least 60 MB/s continuous writing speed.
ProGrade provides the 64, 128, and 256 GB capacities of the SDXC 200MB/s V60 card. In this study, the 64GB SDXC card (PGSD128GBJNA)
- Increase your professionalism instantly by adding our SDXC card collection to your kit. Focus on curating the best content for your clients/audience while we do the heavy lifting of making sure your work is efficient and always available.
- Lighting Fast 250MB/s Write Speed – Save high resolution recordings instantly to your device as you continue to maintain your precious focus. Stop waiting around for your work to upload; with Read Speeds as fast as 300 MB/s, even your most robust projects can be uploaded in seconds!
- ProGrade Digital sizes unused flashcards to keep them at peak performance. And monitor the health of your cards before an important shoot.
- Keep fake SD Cards away because our SD Cards are so hard to duplicate. Forged in our premium ProGrade Digital Lab, each SDXC Memory Card is painstakingly inspected before shipping out and laser-etched with a custom code.
- All-Inclusive Restoration Software: Photos and Videos. This restore program is guaranteed to save 65% of your files that other restore programs fail to upload. Works for all file types, compact disks, in-accessible hard drives, mobile phones, memory cards, etc.
5. Manfrotto SD Professional Memory Card UHS-II
SDXC professional-grade Manfrotto Professional SD UHS-II (V90) memory cards combine strength and durability with unprecedented performance. Built to excel in digital SLRs and advanced video cameras that need higher speeds for the most challenging shooting modes, without maximizing the camera buffer, SD Professional cards safely store images. More than durable: The most strong memory cards on the market are built to be professional memory cards. SD cards use a solid printed design in which the ” brain ” of the card is completely sealed and secured inside, making it 3 times stronger than a regular SD card and capable of withstanding an impact of over 20 kg! Waterproof and dust resistant: SD Pro cards are sealed and safe from water and foreign debris damage and can be completely submerged for up to 72 hours!
Durable and by far one of the best sd card for sony a7iii
Built to withstand extreme temperatures: You can shoot with the confidence that the Manfrotto Pro memory cards are built to withstand these temperature changes, whether you are shooting in the heat of the desert, in sub-zero temperatures in the Arctic or leaving the memory card in a hot car. To withstand temperatures from -25 ° C to 85 ° C, SD cards are constructed.
- PROFESSIONAL: Designed to meet the needs of professional photographers shooting digital SLRs and advanced video cameras that require higher speeds for the most demanding shooting modes, our SD Professional cards store image files without maxing out the camera buffer.
- Secure Digital cards use a solid, printed piece of plastic where the memory card’s “brain” is fully enclosed and protected, making it 3 times more powerful than a normal SD card.
- SD cards are designed to withstand temperatures ranging between -25 ° C and 85 ° C.
- SD Pro cards are protected from damage by water and foreign objects and can be completely submerged for up to 72 hours.
- DURABLE: Manfrotto Professional SD UHS-II (V90) professional-grade SDXC memory cards combine strength and durability with unparalleled performance
6. Verbatim Pro II Plus
Memory cards of the next generation for next-generation results. Pro II Plus SDXC memory cards from Verbatim take advantage of the UHS-II interface to provide ideal next-level output for 8K or 360o video capture. Using blazing-fast writing speeds of up to 245MB/s, these cards keep up with even the most experienced users. In record time, then return to shooting, using breakneck 295MB/s read speeds to copy files in a flash. In addition, SDXC cards have expanded features, meaning that without changing cards, you can fire longer. These cards are water-resistant, shock-proof and temperature-proof, and safeguard all the valuable work. Verbatim produces technology you can trust, backed by a limited lifetime warranty. *Requires host computer SDXC. For use with UHS-II devices for optimum performance.
For slot 1 this card is also considered one of the best sd card for sony a7iii
- Video speed class V90 – supports 8K video recording
- UHS-II interface, U3 speed rating
- Read speeds up to 295MB/s. Write speeds up to 245MB/s
- Waterproof, shock-proof, and temperature-proof
- Verbatim has been a revolutionary technology leader in data storage technology for nearly half a century, and guarantees this product with a 1 -year limited warranty and technical support.
7. Lexar Professional 2000X UHS-II
SDHC/SDXC UHS-II Lexar Professional 2000x Cards
Quality at the professional level that you can trust With a read transfer rate of up to 2000x (300MB/s) (1), Lexar Professional 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards allow you to easily capture and transfer high-quality images and 1080p Full-HD, 3D, and 4K video.
The cards make use of UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) technology for high-speed performance. And you’ll be powered by post-production with high-speed card-to-computer file transfer with the included SD UHS-II card reader. This drastically speeds up workflow from beginning to end, so you can save time and get back to the photography business.
Shoot high quality photographs and videos in Full-HD, 3D, and 4K
You will be able to use the new picture and video features available to capture high-quality images and stunning 1080p Full-HD, 3D, and 4K video using a DSLR, HD camcorder or 3D camera.
At the fastest UHS-I speeds, backwards compatible
The cards are also backward compatible with UHS-I devices for versatility, working up to the full UHS-I speed capability thresholds. The cards also run at Class 10 speeds on older non-UHS-I computers.
Move files easily with an included SD UHS-II reader
You’ll experience high-speed file transfer at UHS-II speeds using the reader that comes with the cards. This drastically speeds up workflow (2) from start to finish, taking you back quicker to catch the action.
- High-speed performance—incorporates UHS-II technology (U3) to facilitate up to 2000x (300MB/s) read transfer
- Captures high-quality footage from DSLR cameras, HD camcorders, and 3D cameras, even in 1080p/3D/4K resolution
- It features an SD UHS-II reader for high-speed file transfer from card to computer, thus accelerating workflow.
- One-year limited support on the reader and lifetime product support for the card
8. Transcend SD 700S UHS-II
The performance and ability needed to harness the full power of your UHS-II compliant DSLR cameras and camcorders are provided by Transcend SDXC/SDHC 700S memory cards. The cards allow professional outdoor photographers and videographers to capture flawless raw images with incredible transfer speeds and record 8K videos of ultra-high quality.
- Compliant with the UHS-II U3 and V90 standards
- Storage capacity up to 64GB
- Read 285 MB/s; Write 180 MB/s
- Ideal for advanced camcorders and DSLR cameras
- C10, U3, V90, 8K and UHD
9. Hoodman Steel 2000x
Both pace and durability are promised by the Hoodman Steel 2000x UHS-II Card. With 300 MB/s reading and 260 MB/s writing rates, this UHS-II card is marketed. Although UHS-II is necessary for the quick transition rate, the card is backward compatible with UHS-I and standard SD devices, but in such devices it operates at reduced speed. It supports SDR104 mode which in UHS-I mode, operates up to 104MB/s bus speed. The Hoodman Steel 2000x card has the UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designation, which means that for 4K HD video, it can maintain at least 30MB/s continuous recording. Hoodman provides 64 and 128 GB of space for the Steel UHS-II card. 64GB SDXC card, HS64GBSD2 model.
Great for slot 1 and one of the best sd card for sony a7iii
- 128GB Storage Capacity
- UHS-II / U3 / Class 10
- Max Read Speed: 300 MB/s
- Max Write Speed: 260 MB/s
- Ruggedized Steel Construction
10. Sony TOUGH-M series SDXC UHS-II
Sony’s 256GB SF-M Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card can store 256GB of data.
Max read speeds of up to 277 MB/s and maximum write speeds of 150MB/s can be reached. The Tough Series is up to 18 times stronger than normal SD media (180N compared to 10N) and can withstand drops of up to 16.4 ‘/ 5m, immersion for up to 72 hours in up to 16.4m of water, and bending and dust proof. Protecting against physical damage is the one-piece molded structure that is ribless with no write safety switch. It’s built for experienced photographers and videographers, as intense photography is robust enough. It supports advanced DSLR functions as well as RAW and JPEG captures, such as continuous shutter bursts and fast shooting.
For reliable 4K recordings and high-bitrate video capture, the Sony SF-M media supports the V60 Video Speed Class. Supports longer high-resolution picture burst shooting, as well as faster clearing of buffer memory. You can easily transfer large media files to a device with fast reading speeds of up to 277 MB/s. To restore files that have been mistakenly deleted or that can not be replayed, download free File Rescue program. The IP68 IP68 Waterproof and Dustproof card is 18 times more bending-resistant than the SD standard.
- Water Resistant (IPX8)/ Dust Resistant (ipx6)5
- Read and write speeds of up to 277MB/s
- Durable design (18x stronger than standard UHS II card)
- Supports up to 4K video recording
- Warranty valid for five (5) years
5 Best UHS-I Memory Cards For Sony a7iii
For the Sony A7iii there is no need to use the UHS-II card in slot 2 since performance will be bottlenecked. Rather, the UHS-I card is recommended in slot 2. However, you may use the UHS-II card although there will be a speed bottleneck.
If budgeting isn’t an issue then go for the 2 UHS II cards that way you can have a backup card in case your first one fails or if you need it in slot 1.
However, if you want to save money then here are 5 of the best UHS-I cards for the sony a7iii.
1. SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC
The SanDisk Extreme PRO SD UHS-I card offers high resolution, 4K UHD video that is stutter-free. Transfer speeds of up to 170MB/s for a quicker post-production workflow. Constructed to withstand weather, water, shocks and other conditions that are less than optimal. Up to 170 MB/s* upload speeds [64GB-1TB] Sequential Burst Mode Shots UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30)(2) Card allows you to take shots in sequential burst mode without missing a beat. Video support for Full HD (1920×1080) and 4k UHD (3840 x 2160) which differ depending on the host computer, file attributes, and other factors. In extreme environments, designed for and tested. The temperature-proof, waterproof, shock-proof, and x-ray-proof San Disk Extreme PRO SD UHS-I card is Pictures Recover
Another best sd card for sony a7iii for slot 2
- Read speeds up to 170 MB/s
- Write speeds up to 90 MB/s
- 4K UHD video(1) and sequential burst mode photography are both suitable for it.
- Up to UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30)
- Additionally, it is temperature-proof, waterproof, shock-proof, and x-ray-proof.
2. Lexar Professional 633x UHS-I SDXC
With a read transfer rate of up to 633x (95MB/s), Lexar Professional 633x SDHC/SDXC UHS-I cards allow you to easily capture and transfer high-quality images and 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video. The cards use high-speed Class 10 output UHS-I (UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) for 32GB-256GB capacity) technology. And when you’re using a USB 3.0 card reader, high-speed card-to-computer file transfer can fuel you through post-production. This drastically speeds up workflow from beginning to end, so you can save time and get back to the photography business. Cards provide Image Rescue software that is downloadable, and come with a limited lifetime warranty.
- High-speed performance with Class 10 UHS-I technology (UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) for 32GB-256GB capacities) provides a read transfer speed of up to 633x (95MB/s)
- Capture high quality footage with a DSLR camera, camcorder, or 3D camera in stunning 1080p full HD, 3D, and 4K quality.
- Enjoy shooting longer without changing memory cards-large capacity options up to 256GB
- Send files quickly from your card to your computer with high-speed file transfer.
- Equipped with Image Rescue software to recover most photo and select video files
3. PNY Elite Performance UHS-1 SDXC
For photographers and videographers using advanced DSLR cameras and 3D/HD camcorders, the latest range of Elite Performance SDXC flash memory cards is the ideal solution for photographers and videographers using advanced DSLR cameras and 3D/HD camcorders.
With read speeds of up to 90MB/s, they are our fastest SDXC cards yet. Without missing a beat, you’ll be able to catch ultra-fast action shots and HD footage. These cards are designed with UHS-1 (Ultra High Speed) bus interfaces to get the most out of your camera/camcorder output.
PNY’s Elite Performance SDXC UHS-I Memory Card is capable of storing high-quality HD videos with a camcorder or a DSLR.
Experience High Speed Capture of HD and 3D Video with Class 10 UHS-1 Performance PNYs The Class 10 UHS-1 ranking ensures that it can fulfill the requirements of capturing HD or even 3D video footage. Its U1 speed class (UHS Speed Class 1) enables the UHS-1-enabled host system to capture real-time video and large-sized HD videos.
As for UHS-I this would be one of the best sd card for sony a7iii in slot 2
- An ultimate transfer speed of 90MB/sec
- Specifically designed for professional-quality DSLR cameras and HD camcorders, especially for ultra-high definition video, video action shots, sports videos, and other video formats
- Class 10 UHS-I, U1 performance supports burst-mode shooting, Full HD and 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Quick transfer speeds minimize the time it takes to transfer photos and videos to your computer.
- Stores up to 91,024 photos so you can shoot more pics without needing to download them
- Compatible with SDHC and SDXC devices
- Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Waterproof, & Temperature Proof
4. Sony Expert Series UHS-I
Sony’s 128GB SF-UY3 Series UHS-I SDXC Memory Card has a 128GB storage space. Max read speeds of up to 90 MB/s and maximum write speeds of 70MB/s can be reached. This memory card is well insulated from water, dust, UV and static light, and can withstand temperatures from -13 to 185 °F as well.
This card uses the UHS-I bus and offers up to 90 MB/s of reading speed. It is well suited for video recording in 4K and HD, and 4K/Full HD support is provided by select versions. Downloadable File Recovery program restores XAVC S format 4K raw image and video file files captured by digital Sony imaging devices.
- Transfer speed of up to 94 MB/s and write speed of up to 70MB/s
- Designed for photographers / videographers who desire 4K video shooting, fast burst shooting, and fast transfers.
- File Rescue downloadable software helps recover pictures and videos that have been deleted accidentally.
- The UHS-I Memory Card has been tested to ensure that it maintains a high level of reliability and data integrity.
- The UHS-I Memory card was designed to perform under a wide range of operating temperatures and is waterproof.
5. Transcend 500S UHS-I
Transcend’s 128GB 500S UHS-I SDXC Memory Card can capture video in 4K, 3D, and Full HD, plus raw and JPEG still images and picture bursts. It has a 128 GB capacity and has a V30 speed class rating that guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. The built-in write-protect switch helps to prevent card data from being inadvertently deleted.
This memory card is shockproof, waterproof and X-ray proof, and can withstand static temperatures from -13 to 185 ° F as well. Free RecoveRx app, including images, documents, music and videos, helps recover deleted content. The cards are designed for use with advanced camcorders and DSLRs, providing quick transfer speeds and high quality video recording without dropped frames for skilled photographers and videographers.
To withstand harsh conditions, Transcend’s memory cards are checked. Waterproof Complies with JIS IPX7 standards and can withstand immersion for up to 30 minutes in 3.3 ‘of water. In extreme temperatures ranging from -13 to 185 °F, Temperature Proof will work.
- Compliant with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) specifications
- Storage up to 256GB
- Read speeds up to 95 MB/s; write speeds up to 60 MB/s
- MLC NAND flash memory
- Works with DSLR cameras and advanced camcorders
- This makes for a smooth and uninterrupted 4K video recording
- Designed to endure extreme conditions
- Exclusive RecoveRx software
That was 5 of the best sd card for sony a7iii for slot 2 UHS-I memory cards.
Best Memory Cards 4k Video Sony A7III
Depending on the Sony camera such as the a7 iii, shooting 4k video can require certain minimum specs.
Aside from a few random cards not working in the Sony A7 III (like Samsung), you should use a U3 memory card to shoot 4k video with the Sony A7 III.
Sony upgraded its firmware in 2016 so that you can now use SDHC memory cards for 4k video, however, you still need to use U3 memory cards.
U3, v30, v60, v90 card memory rated sd cards
In 2016, Sony updated its firmware so that you can now use SDHC 4k video memory cards, but you do need to use U3 memory cards or higher.
Any U3, v30, v60, v90 card rated memory cards will work perfectly for shooting 4k video.
I would suggest a card like the Sony SF-G UHS-II for shooting 4k video on the sony a7iii.
What Size Memory Card For Sony A7III
A memory card with a minimum capacity of 64GB is recommended for still shots.
This should get you about 3500 photos in JPEG Extra Fine mode, 1750 photos when shooting RAW & JPEGs, 2400 photos in RAW mode only, 1000 in RAW & JPEGs (Uncompressed RAW), 1200 when shooting Uncompressed RAW images.
For filming, especially filming in 4k resolution it is recommend to get 128GB Cards
What memory cards does the Sony A7 III use
You’d better get a UHS-II SD card for optimum use of a7 III. Sony’s newly launched SF-G UHS-II Tough SD card is actually the quickest & toughest UHS-II SD memory card, with the fastest read speed at 300 MB/s and write speed at 299 MB/s. Both the Lexar Professional 2000x UHS-II SDXC and SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC cards have the same peak read rate of 300 MB/s and 260 MB/s write speed.
Which Memory Cards Does The Sony A7 III Support?
The Sony a7iii comes with two memory-card slots, Slot 1 and Slot 2.
Slot 1 supports SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-I and UHS-II memory cards.
However, for slot 2 – SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-I are supported.
NOTE: UHS-II cards would work just fine in slot 2 but you won’t be able to take advantage of the speed, as the cameras will default back to UHS-I speeds.
If you have the correct adapter, you could also use microSD memory cards with the sony a7iii
UHS-I vs UHS-II
Although the Sony A7 III takes advantage of UHS-II memory cards, depending on how you use slot 1 and slot 2 with recording modes, speeds are bottlenecked to the slowest memory card in the frame.
There are two ways to tell a UHS-I card from a UHS-II card.
The first is clear: check the label or packaging. They will either say UHS-I or UHS-II, or be marked with I or II.
It usually uses Roman numerals, but you’ll sometimes see it written incorrectly with a 1 like UHS-1.
You also can tell them apart by looking at the cards. UHS-I cards have a single row of pins on the back. UHS-II have two rows.
The UHS standards enable devices to be backwards-compatible. That means that you can use a UHS-II card in a device that’s compatible with UHS-I and vice versa.
However, if you do this, you will be limited to UHS-1 spec, which is standard for MicroSDHC. That is the general idea, at least.
However, it gets a little more tricky because some devices that support the UHS-1 standard fall back to a slower UHS-1 mode, while better devices that support the standard called SDR104 fall back to it gracefully.
Unfortunately, the features and capabilities of that particular part of the card are rarely specified on either the packaging or in the technical specifications.
The UHS-I cards have transfer rates up to 104 Mb/s. An upgraded version, the UHS-II cards, have a transfer rate of 312 Mb/s.
In March 2017, UHS-III specification was announced, doubling previous UHS-II speeds with insane data transfer speeds up to 624 Mb/s.
Frequently Asked Questions
A memory card with a minimum capacity of 64GB is recommended for still shots.
The A7III supports both UHS-I and UHS-II. It is recommended to use UHS-II Cards
Sony upgraded its firmware in 2016 so that you can now use SDHC memory cards for 4k video, however, you still need to use U3 memory cards.
The a7III gets an awful lot of things just right for generalist photographers. A memory card with a minimum capacity of 64GB is recommended for still shots.
Aside from a few random cards not working in the Sony A7 III (like Samsung), you should use a U3 memory card to shoot 4k video.
In 2016, Sony updated its firmware so that you can now use SDHC 4kVideo memory cards, but you do need to use U3 Memory cards or higher.
The Sony a7ii comes with two memory-card slots, Slot 1 and Slot 2. Slot 1 supports SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-I and UHS-II memory cards.
However, for slot 2 – SD/ SDHC/ SDXC UHS-I are supported.
The UHS standards enable devices to be backwards-compatible. We recommend going with the Sony G or Sony G Tough cards, but we have had success with Transcend and Toshiba cards.
Best Memory Card For Sony A7III – Bottom Line
We recommend going with the Sony G or Sony G Tough cards, but we have had success with Transcend and Toshiba cards as well.
Stick with U3 when using UHS-I cards so that you can still capture video and stop Samsung and you’ll probably be free of any issues.
By recording simultaneously to both slots 1 and 2, the write speed is restricted to the maximum write speed of the UHS-I card in slot 2. So you can take advantage of these savings by using UHS-I SD cards in slot 1.
If you will be recording RAW files to one slot and JPEGs to another, then this will also be slower than writing to a single card.
However, there is still an advantage for shooting uncompressed RAW to slot 1 and JPEGs to the second slot.
There is no benefit to using a UHS-II card in slot 1 if you shoot RAW to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2.
It doesn’t always come down to in-camera write speed.
However if you are always impatient waiting for files to be transferred to your device from your SD cards, then you might still want to go for the faster UHS-II cards simply for faster reading speeds.
We hope you enjoyed this article on the best sd card for sony a7iii. Where we discussed 15 of the best sd card for sony a7iii.